Website Backup Plans
Website Backup Frequently Asked Questions
What is Website Backup?
Website Backup allows our customers to backup sites via FTP or SFTP. If your website is hosted with us, we automatically configure the backup for you. Otherwise, once you have your backup configured, your website files and database/s will be backed up daily, weekly, or monthly depending on the frequency you choose.
To conserve bandwidth, we only download new and modified files after the initial backup. Each backup is a complete copy of your website on that day. Backups are retained for 30 days. This means you can restore your site to the state of any day in your backup history, up to 30 days.
You can see all of the backups in your dashboard, making restorations is simple: just click on the desired backup date, and it will be downloaded to your computer.
How to Configure my website backups?
Your Website Backups must be configured to connect with your hosting account to work correctly. Please be aware that if you change hosting company or hosting servers you may need to reconfigure your Website Backups.
Note: If your website is hosted with us on a cPanel hosting account, we will take care of this for you.
- Go to your product page.
- Under Website Security and Backups, next to the account you want to configure, select Set up to setup an account for the first time or select Manage to configure an existing account.
- Open Backups settings.
- If you have only one domain, select Backups and then select Settings.
- If you have multiple domains, select Backups, select cog icon for the domain you want to configure and then select Website Details.
- Enter your URL and FTP credentials and select Save.
- cPanel customers: Find my FTP username for Linux Hosting
- Plesk customers: Find your FTP login or username for Plesk hosting
- Managed WordPress / Professional Web Services (PWS) customers: use SFTP instead.
If you are a Managed WordPress customer, you need to include the following settings in addition to Website URL, FTP Username, and FTP Password.
- Connection – SFTP
- FTP Hostname – your domain
- FTP Port – 22
- FTP Directory – /home//html (Replace with the FTP Username)
- Select Database Options and select the option that best applies to your website. Then select Save.
- Auto Detect (WordPress, Joomla, vBulletin, Magento, Drupal) – Select if you are using a content management system (CMS). We will try to identify which CMS you are using and backup it’s files. This is the best option for most sites.
- No Database Used – Select if you have a site that does not use databases.
- Cron Job or Scheduled Task Setup – This is only used when a database is too large to export via php script or times out when exporting via direct MySQL connection. It requires your server to have a Cron Job or Scheduled Task configured.
- Manual Setup – Manual Setup is used when the Auto-detect doesn’t pick up the database connection information and the connection needs to be setup manually. Select Manual Setup, select Add New Database, enter the information for your database and then select Save.
- Select Other Options, and adjust your Frequency, Notifications and Backup Start Time to your personal preference. Then select Save.
Your first backup should complete within a few hours. Large sites can take considerably longer. You’ll receive an email notification when the backup is complete.
How to restore files from website backup?
After your backup has completed successfully, you will be able to auto-restore from the dashboard.
- Go to your product page.
- Select Manage all next to Website Security and Backups.
- For the site you want to restore, select Details under Backups.
- Navigate to the desired backup date and select Restore Options.
- Select Auto Restore Files for Files Restore.
- Select the files you want to restore and select Confirm Selected Files. To restore all files, select Restore Al Files near the bottom of the page.
- Select the I agree with overwriting the files checkbox and select Restore.
- If you have a database you want to restore, repeat these steps to auto restore your database.
- You’ll receive an email once your website restore is complete.
*Price excludes applicable taxes and ICANN fees.